If you have a business idea/innovation/invention with real commercial potential then the College Students Innovation and Entrepreneurship Challenge 2016 is the competition for you. There’s an incredible seed capital to be won, opportunity for entrepreneurship boot camp, top five awards, expert advice from successful entrepreneurs around the world to potentially help turn your enterprise idea into a business reality. Lastly we will give you collaboration opportunities with other entrepreneurs across Southern Africa. So get a team together for the most exciting challenge for all college students.
A CATALYST FOR NEW VENTURE CREATION
The College Students Entrepreneurship and Innovation Challenge seeks to identify promising young entrepreneurs, innovators, inventors in Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and South Africa and offer them opportunities to live the dream, for growth and collaboration across these countries. SIEC was created for students with advancing innovation-related projects via small seed grants. Some of these projects may be invention-oriented, some may develop unique products/services, and others may provide socially-oriented services. Two national winners from each country will meet other winners at a weeklong boot camp where they will meet mentors, investors, advisers and renowned world executives for grooming. The competition will provide students participants with real-world, hands-on start up experiences that complement the rigorous instruction received in the classroom. This initiative will provide a platform from which they can leverage their professional experience and skills to launch new ventures or accelerate the growth of existing ones. Entries are invited from undergrad students in Tanzania, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Zambia below the age of 25 years who have projects that can demonstrate potential in terms of achieving significant profit and/or substantial social impact through a venture in any of the following industry sectors:
- Information & Communication Technologies
- Science and Technology
- Creative & Cultural Industries (Art, Music, Handicraft, Design, Cinema …)
- Agriculture, Food & Nutrition
OBJECTIVE OF THE CHALLENGE
To empower and develop creative innovators with necessary skills and resources for starting and leading organizations that challenge assumed boundaries and inspire a sense of what’s possible.
- Candidates must be under the age of 25 years as on 31st December 2016
- Candidates should be already working on or be able to submit a detailed practical concept in one of the above listed industry sectors.
- Candidates should possess exceptional entrepreneurial skills and must demonstrate their ability to adopt innovative approaches towards the development of their sector
- The project should be an original concept, innovation or invention
- Candidates must demonstrate their potential as future leaders CCF collaborative businesses through their character, drive and abilities.
- Candidate should be a citizen of any of the Southern African countries.
APPLICATION AND PRELIMINARY SELECTION
- Candidates interested to be a part of the challenge should fill in the application form on www.campuscommunityfoundation.org and submit it along with their concept description. .
- Your complete application form and concept will be forwarded to the Jury, best projects will be shortlisted from each college or university.
- The Jury will then select the best 5 Projects from each country which will be announced at a Campus community festival gala after the final Pitch to the delegates.
- All the five projects which reach at the national level will have an opportunity to pitch to investors and sponsors who then selected the two national winners.
- The top 10 winners will be selected for the Boot camp with opportunity for, collaborations and other prices to help them grow their ventures. Only the overall best two projects will get the seed money and opportunity to travel to USA.
Candidates will be judged on the following basic criteria:
- The candidate’s ability to run or manage a business that fulfils a market need
- The candidate’s ability to demonstrate business acumen, commercial awareness and managerial ability towards the formulation of a clear business strategy
- The candidate’s in depth understanding of his/her industry/market
- The candidate’s ability to spot gaps and opportunities
- The candidate’s ability to replicate a business idea or exploit opportunities for its growth in in his/her country or beyond.
Creativity and Originality
- The candidate’s ability to develop a unique idea and leverage it in a commercial context
- The candidate’s ability to take initiative in successfully driving forward an original idea
- The candidate’s ability to assess, enjoy and take risks
- The candidate’s ability to employ entrepreneurial skills to emerge as a leader in his/her chosen sector,
Self Confidence & Interpersonal Skills
- The focus and ambition to support original ideas
- The ability to sell an idea, negotiate and network
Agent of Change
- The candidate’s ability to make a difference – not merely in business terms but also with respect to fulfilling a social or market need
Entrepreneurial Vision to transform your country and the world at large
- The candidate’s vision for a mutually beneficial culture of personal and professional engagement, collaboration and partnership for India and Africa
PROCESS OF SUBMISSION
- a) Fill in the application form and send to email@example.com together with the 1000 word concept statement showing “how your enterprise has or will make a positive difference in your selected field, the functionality of the project/innovation/business, link for the website /web app .
- Application Deadline: 16 June, 2016
- Announcement of Shortlist from each college: 29 June , 2016
- Project Pitch for the Shortlisted from each college: July , 2016
- Project Pitch from the five Shortlisted: July , 2016
- Announcement of 2 winners from each country: July 2016
- Winners Boot camp –Aug 2016
- Announcement of the overall winners: Aug 2016
RIGHTS & REPRODUCTION
The Organizers or any employee or agent of the Organizers will NOT be liable for:
- any costs incurred or loss or liability suffered by the participants in relation to the program, any lost expectation of profits by participant, any failure by participant to understand their rights in relation to Intellectual Property, or the rights of The Organizers in relation to Intellectual Property and any other benefit applicants may expect to gain by participating in the program.
- The Organizers may change the Terms and Conditions of participation at any time without specific notice. The amended Terms and Conditions of Entry will be effective immediately
- Upon being posted on the Website. Important changes to the Terms and Conditions will be highlighted on www.campuscommunityfoundation.org for your convenience; however, you acknowledge that it is your sole responsibility to regularly visit our website and facebook page to read any changes to the Terms and Conditions of Entry.
- Disputes, if any, are subject to the jurisdiction in the courts in Pretoria South Africa only.
- Emphasis will be laid on the participants’ conviction of the idea and the thoroughness of research and understanding of his/her and its context. CCF may at any time and for any reason:
(a) disqualify a participant from the program if the evaluation panel or the Grand Jury in their
absolute discretion, determine that such disqualification is warranted
(b) discontinue the program by posting a notice to that effect on our website.
5 REASONS TO ENTER
- Win seed capital
Cash to kickstart your business is reason enough, but if you need more convincing then keep reading.
- Helps you stand out
In today’s competitive employment market, showing initiative and drive can go a long way.
- Become a Fellow
As a winner of this prestigious award you’ll have demonstrated the skills, commitment and innovation employers seek. This award will help you stand out and you will be given a fellowship award.
- Opportunity to become an entrepreneur
You will meet investors, get assistance to register and start your company, get opportunity to partner with other likewise business owners in Africa and beyond. Be your own boss with unique support from the CCF.
- A potential career
Opportunity to work with world-leading organisations